Limits and Expiration of Eligibility
Limits and Expiration of Eligibility
The HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarships have limits to how long students can receive the scholarship payment based on the limits listed below.
- Expiration of Eligibility
- Ten Year Eligibility Limit
- Seven Year Eligibility Limit
Expiration of Eligibility
The Expiration of Eligibility is based upon your total attempted hours, total combined-paid hours and/or degrees earned. HOPE and Zell Miller Scholars eligibility will expire when any one of the following occurs:
- Combined-Paid Hours Limit 127 semester or 190 quarter hours. Includes,
- All credit hours in which a student received payment from HOPE Scholarship, Zell Miller Scholarship, HOPE Grant or, Zell Miller Grant
- HOPE or Zell Miller Grant hours paid while enrolled in high school are included in the Paid-Hours and Combined-Paid Hours limit
- Attempted Hours Limit 127 semester or 190 quarter hours. Includes,
- All degree level credit hours taken after high school graduation
- Any Non-Degree level credit hours that were accepted into a Degree Program.
- Earned a baccalaureate (four-year) degree, regardless of whether or not HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship funds were received while pursuing the degree.
Ten Year Eligibility Limit
Students who receive their first HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship payment Summer term 2019 or later may receive HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship payment until ten years after the date of their high school graduation, High School Equivalency (HSE) diploma test date, or home study completion date, whichever occurred first.
Seven Year Eligibility Limit
Students who received their first HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship payment between Summer term 2011 and Spring term 2019, may receive HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship funding until seven years after the date of their high school graduation, High School Equivalency (HSE) diploma test date, or home study completion date, whichever occurred first.
Eligibility Expiration Date
Students’ eligibility will expire on June 30th of the seventh or tenth year, following the student's high school graduation, High School Equivalency (HSE) diploma test date, or home study completion date.
No Expiration Limits
The Ten and Seven Year Eligibility Limits do not apply to HOPE and Zell Miller Scholars who received their first HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship payment before Summer 2011.
Eligibility Limit Extensions
United States Military Service Extension
- Students who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces during the seven or ten year eligibility period and before the calculated expiration of eligibility limit, may request an extension of eligibility based on their active-duty service time. The U.S. Military Service Extension form must be submitted to GSFC to request the extension.
ADA Limited Extension
- Students with a disability, as defined in the federal Americans with Disabilities Act, 42 U.S.C. Section 12102, which has prevented full-time enrollment while pursuing an undergraduate Degree, may request a limited extension from the applicable eligibility limit for additional time. The ADA Limited Extension Request form must be submitted to GSFC to request the extension.
The student must meet the following criteria:
- Has a seven year or ten year HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship eligibility limit;
- Has not reached or exceeded the Attempted-Hours or Paid Hours limits;
- Has received the HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship and meets all eligibility requirements;
- Has been enrolled at an eligible college or university each academic year unless there is a documented long-term illness;
- Each term of enrollment is less than full time (12 hours or more) due to the disability.
Eligibility can be lost if a student’s postsecondary calculated HOPE GPA falls below the minimum requirement. Click here for more information about Academic Eligibility in College.
*Students must meet all program eligibility requirements.